Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft - Issue (May)


Soooo, I think this one hits the shops today, and it is the ‘new look’ magazine.  I’m not sure I like the new look, as I liked the old look, but I know I will get used to it.  I don’t dislike it, I just liked the old style.
This month’s issue comes with a lovely Teresa Collins paper stack, with matching chipboard toppers.  These are very decadent looking with lovely colours and patterns.  They strike me as a bit 1920s, combined with an Asian influence.  Anyway, I love them and can’t wait to get using them.  I have a stack of cards that I need to make for SSW and a couple of orders, so I hope I can use these papers on a couple of them. 
Anyway, was usual, the first project in the magazine is some ideas to use your freebies.  There are the usual cards, but I really like the sweet basket, which is actually made from a plastic milk bottle!  I couldn’t tell this until I read the instructions, and the effect is great.  I might make up a few of these to use to package gifts.  With a bit of cellophane and a ribbon they would make great gift holders.
Carolyne Knott’s Petals & Posies project has some beautiful CAS cards.  Using kraft card (which I need to stock up on) and white embossing powder, she has created some stunning floral cards.  I like these so much that I may have to steal the idea to make some cards myself.  I am sorely tempted to buy the stamps she uses too.  These are simple, but beautiful cards, and I am guessing the idea would work with images other than flowers.  Hmmmm . . . guess what I might be doing this week once I dig some craft card out of my stash.
Confetti Collection has some great looking acetate cards, which are entirely see through but full of confetti, with a stitched edge.  There are birthday cards, wedding cards and valentines-inspired cards.  I would love to try these.  I do have some acetate in my stash, but I think it will not be thick enough for these cards.
Upcycle with scrap paper has some lovely designs featuring dresses made from brown paper, newspaper and old music sheets.  I love the look of the music sheet dress, but music sheets are like books to me – I could never bear to cut one up.
Other projects this issue include:
  • 10 ideas with buttons – I like the wedding dress and butterfly cards
  • A recipe box and recipe cards
  • 3 ideas with paper piecing
  • Quick makes has some wonderfully bright cards for girls and boys and they are now in a cut-out and keep format.  Not that I will be doing this – I like to keep my magazines in tact
  • 5 ideas for best in show – village fete inspired cards
  • Birdhouse clock
  • Butterfly bliss has five cards for under £5
  • Framed projects from Leoni Pujol
  • 1 sketch, 3 ways
  • 6 ways with coloured ink
  • May Day bouquet
  • 10 minute makes has tea-time inspire decoupage cards

Giveaways this issue include:
  • £1,000 worth of Hunkydory goodies
  • Faye Whittaker sets (subscribers only)
  • Papermania craft totes (subscribers only)
  • Letraset Promarker and Flexmarker sets
  • Art & Craft Academy DVDs
  • Gatsby Chic goodies from Craftime!
  • Sizzix Big Shot Starter Kit (with new dies – I want those dies)
  • Woodware goodies

There are some lovely ideas in this issue which I would like to have a go at, and I am already looking forward to the next issue, which is out on 16th May.
Happy Crafting!
Holly
xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly! Fab review, as always! :) As a musician myself, I would never cut up sheet music either! And as for books, well it doesn't matter how old or broken they are, they are things of beauty to me! I always use patterned paper with text or music print. For the music print dress topper I actually used some paper from my Echo Park 12x12 Be Mine kit! Thanks again for a brill review and I'm so glad you liked my upcycle cards! Hugs, Simonne x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget