Monday, 8 April 2013

Review: Crafts Beautiful - Issue 253 (May 2013)

Sooo, another late review, I'm sorry.  I am catching up slowly.  This is one that arrived while I was on my jolly holidays, and one subscription that I thought I had cancelled - I may have to chase that one up.  But, as it has arrived, I will review it.

This issue comes with a free butterfly decoupage kit, which I haven't made yet as I have been busy sewing (see my sewing blog Teapots and Tantrums for what I have been making), but I will make this up for my Grandma as part of her birthday present (I have until the end of May, so plenty of time).  Subscribe to the magazine this time around and you can get a full decoupage kit, including hearts, owls, birds and many more shapes.  

However, unusually, the first feature in this issue is not how to use this free gift.  Instead, that honour goes to 'Passion Puffs', which turns paper lanterns into colourful pompoms.  This could actually be a good project for the kids to keep them quiet one afternoon for the remainder of the Easter holidays.

I like the summery feel and CAS-style of May Days, which features a card and a scrapbook layout with bright flowers and pretty butterfly die-cuts.

I also like the effects achieved in books smart, which features hearts, paper cones, pom poms and plaques.  The only problem is that I am one of those people who could never bear to tear up a book . . . ever!

I love the 'budget' bridal bouquet made from paper and ribbons.  It is described as 'penny-pinching' but I think once you have finished buying all the brooches required, it is not going to work out quite as purse-friendly as originally hoped.  Still, it is very pretty and would still be cheaper than a traditional fresh flower bouquet.  It is also something a little bit different.  Maybe not as good as my bouquets (better photos are now available on my Facebook page, but I would say that wouldn't I? . . .

I also like the glass painting in Weekend Wonder.  That might just be because they are my favourite colour though.

The cards in Rainbow Time is quite apt for the weather we have had recently in the UK, featuring wellies and umbrellas.  We may have had some sunshine this weekend, but it is supposed to be raining by the end of the week *sad face*  Despite the wintery subject of these cards, the colours used by Ruth Hamilton make them bright and cheery and I really like them.  The templates for these are available online to download, so no expensive stamps to buy either - even better.

Other features this issue include:
  • Spring Greens - cards made using Tonic punches and featuring bluebells
  • Home Help - 50s-artwork inspired cards
  • paper piecing in Card School
  • Cut Out and Keep has a Charleston/20s theme going 0n
  • Tie The Knot has wedding cards
  • There are also wedding cards in paper-cutting feature, Wedding Belles
  • Bold Lines has a notebook and some cupcake wrappers, as well as a geometric card
  • Emma Jones has advice on how to use social media to make some pennies from your crafting
  • Riverbed Revels has some cute decoupage cards in Darling Designs
  • A little dog bed
  • Bright, floral cards in Colour Story
  • Wedding invites in Aisle of White
  • Invitations and place cards in Quilling with Claire
  • Children's cardigans in Baby Brights
  • More cards in 7 Ways With Butterflies
  • Padded heart garland and tag in Heart Strings
  • Joanna Sheen card in Seaside Charm
  • Pretty jewellery - necklace, earrings and bracelet - in Spring Sparkle
  • A bumble bee notebook cover and seed box card in Sewing Seeds
  • A tote bag made from a tea towel or two in Freshen Up
  • Feather Light has a card, bracelet and painted box


Giveaways this issue include:
  • Needle felting kits from Tigerlilly Makes
  • Books, Knitopedia, Stitchopedia and Crochetopedia
  • Scrapbooking bundle from American Crafts
  • Fabric bundle from Westfallenstoffe
  • Antique Flourish Collection pack from Hunkydory Crafts
  • Graphic 45 papers
  • Spraying kit from Create by Earlex


So, this may or may not be my last CB review . . . we'll find out if a copy gets delivered next month I suppose.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget