Thursday, 4 April 2013

Review: Homemaker - Issue 4

Sooo, after last month's issue of Homemaker being so good, I had high hopes for this issue, and I have to say, I wasn't too disappointed.

I did buy this issue shortly after release in the shops, but unfortunately my holiday got in the way of me writing my review.  Many apologies.

Anyway, this month's issue comes with a little kit with which to sew a little bird decoration.  In all honesty, I will probably never find the time or enthusiasm to make this (I don't really like bird decorations - apparently, according to the mother anyway, they are bad luck), but this is something I think I could set the niece on with next time she comes to mine, and as she asked me at the weekend if I can have her more often, this could be sometime soon.

Anyway, not to be too disheartened by this if you too share my not so much love for birds, there are loads of great projects in this issue.

One of the first projects (and one of my favourites) is the pyjama envelope in 'Create a Perfectly Sentimental Retro'.  I have just made my darling nieces some pyjamas (see my sewing/cooking blog Teapots and Tantrums for these) and I am thinking that I may have enough fabric left over to make them a matching pyjama case each.  The sewing machine will be out at the weekend anyway (I have some skirts to make and a couple of dresses to start/finish), so this could be a quick project for me then.  

The feature also has a cute lampshade, a dressing table tray and a cushion.

There is a great interview with the lady herself, Twiggy on living in London, entertaining friends and her love of dressmaking.  She seems like a genuinely nice person and I am now very jealous of the London flat she lives it - she describes it gorgeously.

I have been slightly inspired by The Milky Way, which is all about milk glass.  There is also a little tutorial to make your own 'replica' milk glass, which I shall be having a go at.  I have lots of jars lying around, as people save ones that are a bit 'different' for me.  All I need now is the appropriate coloured paints.  I have plans this weekend, but maybe next weekend I could set aside a couple of hours?

I also really like the Super Easy Glass Painting project and may have a go at jazzing up some of the plain glasses I have about the house.  

Other projects and features this issue include:

  • Wayne Hemmingway ponders The Failing British High Street
  • Tea cosies
  • Invitations
  • Coasters
  • Stencilled china
  • Anthea Turner tells us all how she planned to spend Easter
  • Annie Sloan explains how she started the painted furniture revolution, with a tutorial on how to upcycle a set of drawers
  • Cross stitch samplers
  • Crocheted beach letters
  • Interview with Tif and Rachelle, authors of Granny Chic
  • 60s footstool restoration
  • Cafe curtain
  • Interview with Nikki McWilliams
  • Spring Garden Green Tart recipe from Eric Lanlard
  • Mozzerella and Bacon Bites from the baking king himself, Paul Hollywood
  • Recipe for Raspberry Friands
  • Decorated lampshades
  • Interview with Alice Pattullo, and an exclusive print from her
  • Interview with Justin Knopp, the brains behind Typoretum.


Now I'm waiting patiently for next month's issue, which hits the shops on 12th April.  I will eventually treat myself to a subscription, but I'm waiting for a good subscription offer - this month's just didn't do it for me.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget