Monday, 7 October 2013

Review: Simply Cards & Papercraft - Issue 116

Soooo, this is my first issue of Simply Cards  Papercraft, and I will be honest, I only subscribed for the subscription gift, but having received my first issue, I am oh so glad I did.

First off, I was very impressed with the free gift - a Spellbinders Heirloom stamp set and embossing folder.  At the time of writing, I haven't used these yet, but I intend to very soon.  I have been very busy sewing and working on some new projects, but I hope to get back to cardmaking properly, rather than just DT work, very soon.  Obviously, once I have something made, I will be posting it up on the old blog.

As with most magazines, the first project feature in this issue is how to use your freebies.  The projects do call for the matching Spellbinders dies, but if you don't have them or can't get hold of them, then you can just cut the stamped image using scissors, which is what I will be doing , at least until I get back from my holidays and have some spare pennies.  There are some cards, a milk carton gift box and a gift bag made using the freebie.  I think I might have a go at using these stamps with my new FlitterGlu set (which is the subscription gift by the way).

Staying on the theme of die-cutting, I like the Let It Snow project.  Good dies can be a bit pricey, and unless you have endless pots of money, or have been collecting them for a long time, you are unlikely to have a huge selection.  This project uses one die to make six very different cards, using the dies in different ways.  I also like the explanation at the beginning of the project explaining how you don't have to have a million dies.  The one thing it does miss out is how you can use the thin dies with an embossing mat to use them to emboss.  But then again, that does require investing in an embossing mat (usually about £15), so defeats the object of the feature about saving money.

As a possible aspiring crafty business person, I enjoyed reading the feature on Craftwork Cards, which tells all about the beginning of the business and how it has got to be the big company it is today, including the design process.  There are also some projects, including cards and a calendar, made using the new Craftwork Cards Christmas Post collection.

After reading the feature on the Silhouette Portrait, I have decided that I really, really want one.  Looks like I shall have to start to save, but as I have an inability to save, I may have to add it to my Christmas list, but as I have already decided what I want for Christmas this year, it may have to go on next year's list.  I just think it would be lovely to be able to design my own die-cut templates.  Anyway, the wait continues.

I adore the cards made in Digital Stamps, which feature and angel, stars and Christmas trees, and even better, they are free to download.  I love the CAS style of the creations with these, but I'm sure that I will be able to use them to make much more fussy cards too.

Other projects include:
  • Christmas Friends has some cards made using the new cute gorgeous LOTV Christmas stamps
  • From Our House to Yours has vintage, shabby chic and retro Christmas cards, with an explanation of what each one means
  • Bling It Up has glittery Christmas cards, with different ways to use glitter to add that bling and an explanation of the different types of glitter available
  • Twinkle Little Star has some paper start decorations
  • Craft With Dreamees has some pretty cards made using Dreamees stamps
  • Under The Mistletoe has mistletoe-themed cards
  • 10 for £10 has some birthday cards using BasicGrey Mint Julep collection products

Giveaways in this issue include:
  • Certificate in Paper Craft online course
  • My Craft Studio Wishes & Whispers Twin CD-Roms
  • Polka Doodles bumper prize sets
  • multi-brand essential crafting proze sets
  • Stampin' Up! Christmas Collectibles wooden stamp sets
  • Art & Craft Academy CD-Rom sets
  • Sizzix Big Shot
The next issue is out on 7th November and comes with some Kaisercraft papers, a Christmas stamp and some luggage tags.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget