Monday, 1 May 2017

Summer Flowers

Sooo, hello, today I would like to share with you a fairly recent make - the Sew Over It Kimono, which I bought as part of my PDF club membership.


I bought this knowing exactly what I was going to do with it, which is most unusual for me.  Usually, patterns have to lie languishing in the what fabric shall I make this in pile for a fair few months before I actually  get round to doing anything with them, but not this one.  This one was destined to be made for my big sister, Kay, using some fabric she bought about two years ago for me to do something with, but still hadn't done.  This is her own fault because she won't let me measure her in order to make something like a dress, or a skirt, or a top.  The kimono therefore presented the perfect solution - minimal fitting, and so long as it pretty much fit me, it would fit her.  Problem solved.


The fabric, I think, is a viscose, which we picked up at The Shuttle in Shipley about two summers ago.  The fabric I bought in the same shopping trip was made into my Space Invaders dress and a waistcoat but these beautiful flowers had been added to the stash until I figured out what to make for my sister without having to measure her.  I knew that the drapiness of the fabric would lend itself brilliantly to a light summer cover up.

I made Version 1, the shorter version, of the Kimono, not really knowing how much fabric I had and made absolutely no attempt to pattern match in the slightest.


The Kimono came together pretty easily - attach at the shoulders, attach the sleeves flat and sew up the sides - and the instructions are very clear, although I have to admit that I didn't actually follow them - I have had quite enough practice at kimonos etc. recently with panto and dressing gowns and the like, even some I haven't blogged about yet.  French seams were used throughout, although I had thought about using the overlocker.

I toyed with the idea of a contrast, black satin, band, but decided against this and used a self-fabric band.  The hems and attaching the back of this band was done by hand as the fabric was so slippery, even with pressing it wouldn't stay in one place to allow a straight line on the hem  to be stitched, but I have now been and bought some spray starch so hopefully that will resolve the problem next time, and there will be a next time.  I really enjoyed making this kimono and plan to make myself a longer version 2 as a cover up for my holidays.  I already have some fabric in the stash in mind for this.  I also think they make great gifts for those people who are difficult to buy for and you can't measure.  I gave this to my sister as part of her birthday present, along with a box of french fancies from Bettys :-)


Anyway, I have more to blog and more to sew, so I will set up some more posts, but in the meantime . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric and it suits the pattern perfectly. I must visit The Shuttle it seems to have some little gems K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K. I really wanted to keep it for myself ;-p
      I need to make it back to the Shuttle soon too. It always costs me a fortune though :-/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget